Saturday, April 23, 2011

Life in a Day!

The Summer 2011 movie slate is full of sequels and action flicks - we've got Fast Five, Thor, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, to name only a few. I'm undoubtedly excited to see these movies, but I am more excited for this:



People were asked to upload videos of their lives to YouTube on July 24, 2010 for this project. With thousands of people responding to the request, director Kevin MacDonald (Last King of Scotland) and crew were left with the extraordinary task of editing down 80,000 clips - almost 4,500 hours of footage - into a feature length documentary. They managed to do it and Life in a Day was well-received at this year's Sundance and SXSW festivals.

This amazing movie hits theaters on July 24th...check it out!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't heard about this it sounds incredible! I know the film industry has been talking a lot about the potential of Youtube to bring new fresh material and ideas into the cinema industry. When mini film makers began emerging on the video sharing site the industry was so excited to harness this new generation. However, I know harnessing that talent has been a lot tougher then many of the studios thought it would be.
    So I'm very excited to see how this is received and how well it does. Hopefully it will do well and provide a new model for harnessing the power of the web for film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I apologize if I offend anyone, but the movie industry has been horrendous as of late. To me it seems as if I'm watching the same thing over and over. Maybe these film-makers are out of ideas - like we discussed in class - or using a set format for their work, but I find it all god-awful. This on the other hand is so fresh and so clean. It has me excited that something new can be created, and I hope there is more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, this looks so freaking cool, I don't even know where to begin. I saw this on Youtube while it was going on and I seriously considered putting myself up for it. How cool would it be to be a part of a project like this?! Truly a once in a lifetime experience. It's made by ordinary people, living ordinary lives, but coming together to create a day full of connections and pure extraordinariness! (I don't think that's a word haha)
    Definitely my number one anticipated movie for the summer. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete